Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Opening Soon Mini-Storage




The other day, I drove by a construction site in New Market and discovered they were putting up one of those self storage facilities. I thought to myself...Wow, that's going to be an attractive addition to the community. Rows and rows of brightly painted, corrugated metal buildings will fit right in on Rt 144 less than 1/4 mile away from Historic New Market.

As I was driving around Frederick and adjoining areas that day, I started paying attention to just how many of these storage places there are. They seem to be everywhere! I guess my question is, what are people storing in these places? I myself used one of these storage places for a couple months when I was in between houses but that scenario can't possibly keep these places in business. I have a feeling these storage cubes are mostly filled with junk that people can't quite bear to part with. I wonder if self storage is such a booming business in other countries or if we as Americans are just too into hoarding junk? A perfect example are my in laws, they are the typical American family. Both worked for most of their lives and still live in the same house where they raised their family. Now they are getting ready to retire and have realized that they have way too much stuff. Are we all destined to spend our entire lives working for and collecting material possessions to only offload all of those possessions when we go to retire? Are we slaves to junk? Do we really need all this stuff?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ha- I had the same thought about that too. It is nice how they are trying to blend in with some stylish landscaping. I spent 10 minutes trying to explain to my wife how those units will be filled with junk that people don't have the courage to part with. Outta sight- outta mind I guess. What a great business.

Zen said...

Those places creep me out. I can't help but think the bodies of missing people are stored in trunks there.
Then again, I've also thought of living in one.

gwadzilla said...

junk
nothing but junk

if you can live without it for three years
you can live without it

for what it costs to store most things...

you could just buy it again in a few years

I worked as a mover some years back
these storage places are filled not only with junk

but there are people that live in these places
there are people that run their offices out of these places

yes
the Americans of the United States have a love affair with their junk

I am no different

I have so much junk

GOT JUNK?