Monday, April 30, 2007

Busy couple of weeks



I've really been slacking on keeping the blog up to date but temps have been warming and I have been spending as little time as possible indoors. So let's see what I can do for an update...... Two weekends ago a bunch of us headed down to Virginia to ride the Leesburg Bakers Dozen. This is a 13 hour race held on a private farm and even though the course didn't have a lot of climbing it ended up being brutal on the body due the roughness of the newly cut trail. It was my first endurance race so I really didn't know what to expect. I got way to excited early on in the race and didn't do that good of a job pacing myself. The end result was me coming in 18th of 30 some people. I threw in the towel around the 8 hour mark with 62 miles under my belt. It was a great time and I can't wait to do it again. My buddy Kevin got 5ht place...way to go Kev! You can check out some pics here. http://picasaweb.google.com/kegley/LeesburgBakersDozen

That race was on Saturday, the following Monday I was feeling good so I headed out by myself for a recovery ride at the Frederick Watershed. Even though I felt good before heading out, as soon as I started pedaling, I realized my legs weren't ready to tackle the hilly and rocky terrain at the Shed. That ride ended up only lasting about an hour. I felt like a slug.

I didn't get on a bike again until this past Saturday. Joe, Andy, Dave and myself decided to hit the Shed for a day of riding after a trip to Elizabeth Furnace got canned at the last minute. The idea was to do whatever we felt like and that's exactly what we did. Exploration was the theme for this ride. We found some trail that we had never ridden before so that was a treat. Apparently, the Watershed is also a popular place to pick edible plants such as Mushrooms and young Ferns since we ran into a number of folks doing just that. We ended the ride by having a few brews then continued the after ride festivities back at Joe and Julie's place in town.

Sunday was a long day for me. I ended up sleeping on the couch on Sat night giving up the beds for visiting family/friends. This led to me getting about 2 hours sleep. When I finally got my butt moving, I headed over to the Greenbrier race to hang out with Tom and Danielle and cheer on Kevin who was racing the Marathon class. After a couple hours of hanging out, cheering and taking pictures I had to take off and run to Annapolis for a fancy dinner at the Chart House with family. Of course we had to go back to my in laws house for dessert afterwards, even though we had already had dessert at the restaurant. I was so freaking tired when I got home that I walked straight through the door and directly to the bed. Actually feels good to be back at work for a little R&R. ;)

2 comments:

gmr2048 said...

sorry i missed you guy out at greenbrier yesterday. i got a late start and made it to the park just before the start of the pro/elite race. i bailed just after the start of the expert/ss/clydesdale/everybodyandtheirbrother race.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for coming out Sunday. Even more so after reading about all the stuff you had to cram in last weekend.