Sunday, March 25, 2007

Redneck Ribs



My wife and I finally got around to paying a visit to a new establishment that recently popped up in historic New Market. The name? Redneck Ribs. I initially discovered the place when I noticed a new, attractive sign while driving through New Market. I remember being immediately intrigued, not only because I've been hunting for a good local rib joint but because it seemed a little out of place for historic New Market. In my opinion, this a welcome change. Anything outside the overwhelming number of stuffy antique shops is refreshing. I believe a little diversification could really help the town by drawing in folks that aren't necessarily into antiques. Thousands and thousands of people drive through historic New Market every day with no reason to stop. How often do you need to buy an antique armoire on your way home from work?

Anyway, back to Redneck Ribs. It's located behind the old New Market General Store. Upon first sight it looks...well, a little Redneck. The entrance is located under a vinyl carport canopy and flanked by outdoor walk-in freezers. While these features caused my wife to raise an eyebrow, it gave me hope, hope that the ribs would be tender and delicious. Every good BBQ joint I have ever visited has some of these unrefined elements and to be honest, I think these elements add to the atmosphere.

Upon entry, I was pleasantly surprised and more importantly, so was my wife. The atmosphere was cozy and inviting. We were greeted by Jeff, self proclaimed "Head Redneck". Within moments Jeff's friendly demeanor had us feeling like we visiting family members for Sunday dinner. The place is small but exceptionally clean and well decorated. Personal pictures and Bluegrass/Country album covers adorn the walls.

Onto the food. They have everything you would expect a BBQ joint to have and then some. I won't go too in depth on the menu because you can check it out here for yourself. 6 homemade sauces await the taste buds. Undecided on which sauce to choose? Jeff and crew will gladly give you samples. My wife and I decided on "Doc's Kentucky" sauce. She got the pulled pork sandwich and I got the 1/2 rack. My wife was the first to speak after taking the initial bite. Her words were...."Oh my god, we need to come here once a week." I smiled in response to her comment as I took a bite of my meaty, falling off the bone tender ribs. They were absolutely delicious, in my opinion, perfect. Tender but with that little crispy/charred coating on the outside. (Jeff told me that is called the "Bark") My ribs were covered with a generous helping of BBQ sauce whereas my wife said that she could have used a little more BBQ sauce on her pulled pork. If you don't like a lot of sauce on your ribs, be sure to specify when you order. I am sure the staff will be willing to accommodate your sauce preference. Other items like Crush Yuppies(Redneck Hush Puppies)Stewarts Soda's and Yoo-Hoo round out the menu offerings. If you like BBQ, do yourself a favor and pay Redneck Ribs a visit.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

So do they have beer?

Mike said...

No beer as of now. I meant to ask them if they were trying to get a liquor license. The next time I am in there, I will bring it up. Some Frederick Co. dinning establishments that don't have a liquor license allow you BYOB into the restaurant.

Anonymous said...

HEY MIKE THIS IS "DOC" FROM REDNECK RIBS.THANKS FOR YOUR POSITIVE COMMENTS,THEY WERE MUCH APPRECIATED.I WILL SHARE THEM WITH JEFF. PLEASE COME BACK WITH YOUR WIFE AND SEE US AGAIN. WE DO NOT PLAN TO SERVE BEER AT THIS TIME.

Anonymous said...

We stumbled on the place when browsing in N Market. I know my BBQ, being raised in the Greensboro area, home of Staley's. This was excellent Q with great sides, the best I've had in this area since moving here in 1988. The mac and cheese get a special nod, as does the friendly help. I came across this site because I want to call them right now for a Memorial Day to-go order!

dave said...

Great place!! The food is delicious and plentiful. My wife and I tried it out this past week and found the staff friendly and the environment cozy. I would recommend Redneck Ribs to anyone who enjoys a good hearty meal. If in New Market stop by and sample the pork barbecue sandwich!! We'll be back!

BigDog said...

We are locals living in Linganore which is right outside of New Market and drove by the place several times a day for many months before stopping to give them a try. I was hesitant because I always figured that no ribs could compare to my favorite which was the Red Hot and Blue in Laurel. Let me tell you, these guys are making some fine ribs and you will not be disappointed. Great sauces, tender tender ribs, good sides, and really nice folks every time we have gone in there. Do yourself a favor and give them a try.

Mike said...

Went to Redneck Ribs to get my fix a couple weeks back and discovered they had closed their doors and moved back to Hagtown. I will miss them dearly..

BigDog said...

Thanks for the update Mike. I'm so sorry to hear that they closed. Yeah, I'm going to miss them too!!

Anonymous said...

HEY GUYS, SORRY WE LEFT NEW MARKET FOR HAGERSTOWN. IT WAS A BUSINESS DECISION AND WE OPENED 3/19/08 ON HALFWAY BLVD. THE CUSTOMERS WERE WAITING IN THE TALL GRASS AND KEEP ON COMING. WE MISS YOU AND HOPE YOU CAN VISIT US IN HAGERSTOWN. CHECK OUT WWW.REDNECKRIBS.COM.
JEFF, TERRI & DOC

Anonymous said...

I actually was in Mount Airy today and had my heart set on picking up some BBQ for lunch. I didn't realize that the New Market location was closed for good. But I have to admit though, I'm glad it's back in Hagerstown. My husband and I drove 50 min. one way to New Market just to get our rib and bbq fix. Doc if you're reading this, any chance you'll bring back the Old Bay fries? Please!!!

Gina Mason said...

Mmmmm is right, my husband and I tried the huge Potato baked to perfection, topped with what tasted like sour cream, cheese, pulled bbq pork, dAng Good!! Can't wait to get out there on Mt aetna road to get some bbq chicken sandwich.